The Breytenbach Centre is a multidisciplinary cultural centre for training in and interaction with visual arts, music and the art of writing. It is a unique place to participate in conversations, ideas, training and workshops and to experience art, music and drama.
Built some 150 years ago, the Breytenbach Centre is a cultural-history heritage situated in Wellington in the Western Cape. It is the former home of internationally acclaimed poet Breyten Breytenbach and his siblings, whose parents used it as a boarding house in the fifties. After the Breytenbach family sold the house in 1974, it deteriorated to such an extent that the Drakenstein Municipality considered demolishing it. However, in the nineties a group of enthusiastic art lovers bought the house from the Municipality and, with the support of the Breytenbach family, embarked on the lengthy process of developing the building into an arts and cultural centre.
Since the opening of the Breytenbach Centre in 2007, the Centre, with its classical architecture and unique old-world allure, has embarked on various projects aimed at realising its objectives of promoting community development through the arts to the full.
The Centre is home to:
– Die Bôrdienghuis, an intimate dinner-theatre hosting shows ranging from music to cabaret and drama. The venue is also suitable for small conferences, birthdays, weddings and is often used for book launches.
– Breytenbach Gallery, an authentic exhibition space showcasing art from exceptional local and international artists, combined with Kardoes art shop, where special art gifts abound.
– Die T-aansluiting, a stylishly informal tea shop, specialising in a variety of unique teas, where locals love to gather or get comfortable with a good book.
– The Book Traders, a second home for book lovers, filled with quality secondhand books, also sourcing rare books and shipping internationally.
– Earth Butter Studio, where one-of-a-kind ceramic beads and jewellery are handcrafted with a distinctive African flair.
– Various arts programmes and training initiatives, making an indelible difference in the local community.