South African Tourism, in light of the President’s announcement on 23 March of a nationwide lockdown, has prepared a comprehensive list of FAQs to help guide the tourism industry to address questions and uncertainties.
These FAQs can be accessed here.
South African Tourism would also like to highlight the following:
- Tourism is not an essential service and therefore needs to adhere to the lockdown regulations that come into effect on midnight on 26 March 2020.
- With immediate effect, no new bookings may be accepted.
- We appeal to tour operators and tour guides to act responsibly and halt all operations as per the president’s declaration of a national lockdown, scheduled to commence at midnight on 26 March 2020. This will ensure the safety of everyone within the country.
- South African citizens coming anywhere internationally will automatically be placed under quarantine for 14 days.
- Lanseria airport has temporarily been suspended as an international airport.
- We urge all tourism stakeholders, particularly accommodation owners, to cooperate and make sure none of their international guests to leave unless they produce their flight ticket and are catching the next flight home.
To reiterate, Tourism is NOT AN ESSENTIAL SERVICE and therefore needs to adhere to the lockdown regulations that come into effect.
We encourage establishments and operators to ask their guests to contact their embassy as soon as possible to ascertain what support is in place for them while they are still in South Africa.
Click here to access the updated list of Embassy contacts.
If you feel that there are any questions not answered by the FAQs please email these to email@example.com